October 27, 2012

It is only appropriate to begin this final section with "Windfall."  I had a large image I wanted to use, but it was a bit too wide for the two pages.  Note how the spread has come apart at the spine area.  That shows how much this book has been opened and handled.


It is an unfortunate coincidence I didn't notice until I had already uploaded this image that the fiber from one of the previous tags flipped onto the left side of this spread.  I extended the tissue I spritzed with color mist over the image.  In hindsight, I'm not sure that was a wise move.  For anyone who took my AB class, you will recognize I used white (wet) glue on this spread and added some of the pages I initially removed from the book.


The glue snafu may be equally evident on this side.


For the background, I extended the spritzed tissue paper to the left spread and used the same image as the very first page in the book.   On the right is one of my favorite spreads.  The inspiration was the beach umbrella and chair.  To that, I added


an origami boat made of faux dollar bills, and a piece of the "eye" printed page for the sail.  For the background, I tore (from bottom to top) sandpaper, blue scrapbook paper, vellum, more scrapbook paper, more vellum, more scrapbook paper, and finally the book page I colored with pigment inks.  Please enlarge to see this in it's full glory.


I used the magazine image on the left as the inspiration for this piece,then tried to show what the Captain saw through the telescope.  I had two instances of the same image, one smaller, which I show on the island.  I called it the "Slow boat to China." 


More of my hmp tied this two page spread together.  The sentiment was cut from the book's dust jacket.


I saw the technique I used on the left on a scrapbook show.  You begin with a circle, in this case, the cap and money, then add images around it.  I think I lost some of the impact because none of my images were the same shape or size.  However, it was a great way to use a bunch of money related images in one spread.  Another of my favorite spreads was the one on the right.  I used a punch to cut the circle in the faux money, then positioned the girl behind it.  It was the perfect frame for the final chapter in this book.


Tape covered the inside of an envelope I used for this spread, to which I also added a magazine image.


I included several tip-ins in this final section, but I can only show mine, since I didn't get permission from the other players to show theirs.  The "No cash value" was a coin I used (that I first coated with pigment ink, then laid the coin into partially set hot glue) to create a cast for polymer clay.  The coin is made from copper polymer clay.  I included one of my "eyes," a bank money/coin holder, and a tag.  Note how old this is, since no bank wants to make loans anymore!


The tag front is shown on the left, and the back of my tip-in is shown on the right.  Real shredded money held together with a brad, sits atop a hand painted computer generated word and some dry wall tape I colored.  I was given a lot of these coin rollers to use as collage fodder because no one rolls coins anymore.  On the back of the tag is my name and other information, including this: "This is a genuine British coin.  You'll have a jump start on spending for your next vacation in England."  The one in the pocket of my tag is five pence.  And yes, the coin is removable, held together with staples and clear plastic.


Mine was the final tip-in of several, so here is what is on the right.  There are several real coins, along with a few not so real ones on this page that reads "Got coin?"  One is quite unique (and real), so I enclosed it in a zip baggie I glued to the page.


As I was scanning the book, the tags fell out of this envelope.  I failed to return them before I scanned the pages I made using colored (spritzed with color mist and paint) paper towels.


I felt this was an appropriate way to finish this AB.


And last, but probably the most difficult, was the two slot niche I created.  Real coins jingle around in the top that was covered with clear hard plastic, while a small glass vial of shredded money was added to the bottom.  Both pages were backed with colorful paper towels.


This is what the cover of my AB looks like today.  Note the polymer clay name plate has broken and lost one of its copper polymer clay "attachments."


Here is the cover as it looked back February (2012), when the cover was still intact.  As I said, this book has seen a lot of wear, and it seems everyone who visits wants to look at it.

I hope you enjoyed this book as much as I did making it.  Rescanning it was not so much fun.  However, after four days of scanning, and two days of writing and revising text, I truly hope (especially those of you who took my AB class) you can appreciate how much time went into this altered book.  Again, thank you so much for visiting, and for leaving a comment that showed you were here.


1 comment:

  1. Your Money Altered Book is really amazing...so many inventive techniques and what fun! I never realized how much advertising and magazine and lingual slang focused on money. You've captured it all brilliantly with your special brand of humor. This must have taken hours to scan and put together...thank you for sharing your beautiful work and expertise!

    ReplyDelete

Bleubeard and Elizabeth thank you for stopping by. We hope you enjoyed this altered book. Like with my other blogs, I never ask for word verification, nor do I moderate comments. I hope that encourages you to let me know you stopped by.