October 27, 2012

I burned all the matches in this pack with the exception of one, which I covered with gel medium.  Then I covered the match cover with computer generated text on my hmp.  I admit I used a lot more handmade paper back then than I do now.


Computer generated scrabble "Money," three buttons, magazine text, and the image were used on the left page.  Some faux coins, bit of scrapbook paper, and a magazine image make up the right page.



I double matted the left image, which I thought was clever (the image, that is).  Note how Bleubeard has tried to get to this book.  I'll show why in a minute or so.  On the right, I wove several colors and widths of ribbon and attached them to the page.  I then made a money rose, which has flattened over the years, and placed it in between the weaves.


I couldn't scan this pop-up page I collaged using a Numismatics catalog, sale stickers, hmp, and a piece of copper colored embossed paper.



Here is a closer view of the pop-ups.  I used cards from the game of Life I found at a garage sale.


I fell in love with the image on the left and felt I had to leave it just as it was.  I'm not much of one for political statements, but back in 2006, when I was working on this book, I was horrified to read about blood diamonds.  I cut these "diamonds" from cardstock, then swiped them with red pigment ink.   I called the spread"Blood Money," which is what I think of blood diamonds.


This is an attempt at making an origami dress from faux US currency.  I added the dice arms and a face from a magazine.  On the right, I made an angel, but no one sees it as an angel, even after I explain it.  The head is the round yellow piece, the body, which includes a rose, intersects the head, the foot is a coin, and the wings are the bill perpendicular to, and behind, the body.


I found this image (matted, on the right) in a magazine and translated it.  It was 13 Gold Coins, and I added the translation at the bottom of the right side "(A traditional Mexican wedding gift)."  I had just been given some colored paste, so added it using punchinella (sequin waste).


Pigs and piggy banks are quite popular, so I used several images from various magazines on these two pages.  I also added two British coins to the right side to simulate the pig looking in the mirror.


Magazine images and sticker letters were used on these two pages.  On the right, I used watercolor pencils for the background.


Doesn't every American love Ben?  I "heart" Ben to pieces, including the puzzle on the right. 


These two pages explain all about Ben!  If you want to see the text up close and personal, be sure to click for a better view.  In fact, all these pages enlarge.

From Ben to Lincoln.  Our smallest denomination is shown here.


Two magazine images were used on these two pages.  The caption on the left reads "Never invest your money in anything that eats or needs repairing."


This magazine image called my name, so I cut it out and added a my own background, which included the black spray stuff, although I can't remember what it's called.  I think I've used the entire can, which I found on a clearance rack many years ago.


Remember when I said I would show why Bleubeard wanted to investigate this AB?  I made the mistake of adding some chocolate coins to the spread.  Yes, he tried to dig the chocolate out after I had finished the book and set it on the floor of my living room.  When he did, I found the remains and set it on a table until the chocolate was so dry (and more than likely inedible) he had lost interest in it.  However, he caused a lot of problems in a single day.


The background of shaving cream paper was enough for these magazine images and wording.  Note the torn page on the left is the back of the chocolate coins.


This entire spread was created from a junk mail ad, with the exception of the weed eater string and plastic crab. 


This side reads "teach a man to fish and he'll retire in wealth."  The tag was from a magazine I mounted on cardstock and wrote "I'm hooked on cash" on the back.


This may be the only time I stamped in this book.  I  created the background using the direct to paper method of crumpling the paper after it was colored, then running black ink over the highlights.  Once again, please click on the page to get an up close look at this spread.


Magazine images and coin wrappers were used to create this page that was embellished using a tiny bit of coin ribbon a friend sent me.



And finally, magazine images were used along with green tissue and paint in this spread.

I hope you aren't bored.  Let's go to the next group of pages.