October 27, 2012

I think I had more humor back in 2006-7, because I'm not sure I could come up with "I think I've been Quartered," or "Maybe I've been nickeled and dimed" again, although it sometimes feels that way.  I liked how I use the lovely lavender rice paper on the right which picked up some of the color from the magazine image.


A magazine image and computer generated text were all I used on this page.


This spread came from junk mail.


The city was digging in the parking area of my home and after they finished, I picked up these flags.  When I found the water faucet magazine image streaming money, I knew how I was going to use it.  I made up a fake monthly statement of utilities.  It's truly fake because I'm probably one of three people over 12 who doesn't own a cell phone.


On the left, I double matted two images, one of which I apparently cut off, under which I laid down some of my shaving cream paper background.  For the right side, I cut the HUGE head off the woman and placed a much smaller one on top.  I added some real (shredded) money I got when I visited the Bureau of Engraving and Printing in Washington, DC.  In fact, I used quite a bit of it in my MONEY AB.  Since the pig was so small and I made the gal's head so small, I named this "Perspective."


A couple more magazine images were placed over some of my shaving cream paper.  On the right, I added some text printed on my hmp.  I also included a piece of punchinella (sequin waste).


Magazine images, game pieces, computer generated text on hmp, a foreign coin, and coin wrappers were used on this page.


Another page of magazine images, game pieces, computer generated text on hmp, foreign coins, and coin wrappers completed this page.  My favorite image was the dress form on the right.  I included an ad for a business loan I received with my name on it.


When I first saw this spread, I thought it was upside down.  Just the word "money" I printed on hand painted paper was.  It was held on with a regular brass brad from a discount store (Big Lots for those of you who live in the States) that I dipped in embossing ink, then embossing powder and heated using needlenose pliers to hold the prongs because I knew it would get very hot.  More magazine images, computer generated text on hmp, a foreign coin, and coin wrappers were also added.  Gotta love those shorts from 1985!


I couldn't seem to use enough of these money images, because I had so many.  I spritzed some faux US bills with green ink and also used a "$" sign I got (along with a big bag of numbers) at the thrift store.


My friend Scott printed these eyes on his laser printer and I painted them.  I got several pages, which I used throughout this book.  The ink was perfect because it didn't bleed when I added paint to the page, then wiped some off.  I encased the faux bill in a plastic pocket (which I stapled in place), then circled the eye on the plastic.


The background of paint and paper was used in conjunction with a magazine image on the left, and a coin envelope I got in the mail, along with a foreign coin on the right.


I can't remember why I had so many of these same images, but I used three on this page, one of which I double matted.


I had considered making windows, since some of the images were reversed, but I decided to only make it "appear" to be a window.  On the right, I added a ribbon and also double matted the large image.  Sometimes simple is better.


On the left, you can barely see how lovely the gold in the background paper is.  I fussy cut the food basket and made the caption out of various sticker letters and foreign coins.  Where I got the scrabble tile, I'll never know, but it came in handy for "Rollin' in the dough!"  The caption,  "Paper or Plastic," printed on some hmp, came to mind when I first saw the magazine image on the right.


I used some left over hmp as a background for the "Coin Toss" I found in a magazine.  The background on the right was made using color washes, over which I added some shaving cream book text. 


I used the same technique on the dollar sign, although it was far too close to the background colors, so lost much of its importance.  The images on the right edge of the dollar sign are from an old tie I found in a friend's dumpster.  A piece of ribbon was run through the word "Money" for the right side of the spread.


The final three spreads are to be read as one.  I formed the words using 16 GA (heavy) gold wire to which I added a few hearts.  All images are from magazines.  It reads "Cash



In


Hand."  The final word was created using 22 GA wire, which was much easier to manipulate.

It's now time to progress to the next entries.