October 27, 2012

This section begins with a hidden image on the left covered by another image I held together with vintage brads.  On the right, I included a magazine image and some clear marquee embellishments.  Note the eye that has become a symbol of the back of the US dollar.


Inside is the hidden image, which is the smaller and more complete version of the front.


I decided to put all the political images together in a spread I call "Dogs of War."  I included a small American flag I ironed to the background using fusible webbing.


Visa card stickers and other junk mail were used on the left, and the date this AB was completed is on the right.  I cut the image from a 2007 magazine cover.


Pockets held many of my ATCs, as well as some Asian hell notes.


The background was a napkin, and images were from a magazine for these two pages.

Before I scanned this piece, made from junk mail, I dropped the book once again.  I can't seem to keep this book unharmed.


Some may remember these pockets I created for this AB.


What you may not realize is I first decorated both sides, glued one set of pockets to the page, then added velcro to the other side.  This shows how these pockets can be unhooked so you can see the pages underneath.  Tip: Secure both sides of the velcro to the pocket, then close the book.  The sticky glue from the velcro will stick to the book page.  When you pull the two pieces of velcro apart, the alignment is perfect.


Banks have been in the news the past few years, so this spread is quite timely, as is the quote on the right: "Banks lend by creating credit.  They create the means of payment out of nothing."


This spread was created using an image I cut from a magazine that had part of a title in it.  I cut the title part out, and attempted to compensate with some very old puzzle pieces.  I also added a tag I covered with cardstock and piece of loose mesh.


I've always appreciated grids, and it was yet another way to include more than one or two images in a spread.  I added a real coin to the mix.


A junk mail ad was the inspiration for this two page spread.  For the cent image, I wound some painter's tape into a long tight roll, then embossed it using copper EP.  I left some of the tape green to signify the patina.


A friend gave me a spirelli blank, to which I added the gold thread and the center image.  Upon close inspection, I see I got one of the windings wrong.   I used a rubber stamp dipped in gesso over a painted page to make the background for the piece on the right.


A bag of money  A birthday gift bag printed with $100 dollar bills was used for the background of this spread which included several magazine images.


Although these two pages used completely different backgrounds and techniques, I tied them together with the sentiment.  On the left, tissue paper background covers the text and highlights the image, while on the right, a tape transfer of an image permits the text to show through.


Once again, the eye of the dollar bill was the inspiration for this spread.


The sentiment was from a magazine, while the image was from a "MONY" junk mail ad.


Two contradictory statements are tied together in this spread, which included a tape transfer that was not the best.


I love game pieces and this spread has several!


Another two page spread was created to use even more "money games."


For the left side, I laid down a sheet of real cork and cut an image that looked like it belonged on the cork.  In that same magazine photo were some more push pins, so I fussy cut the pins and attached them to look like I had pinned the money wrapper to the cork.  For my hand written note, I used some red tape.  I backed the entire piece using a sheet of colorful card stock, which only showed a bit at the top and where I tore the cork.  On the right side, I used a magazine image, a hat made of money, and a sentiment you can't read: "Two sides of the same coin."

Are you ready for the final pages?  Then let's go!!!